In 2008 I graduated from beauty school as an esthetician. During my time as a student, I learned from a classmate just how many toxic chemicals were in the products we were using. As a young woman, I assumed if it was sold in a store that it was safe. Why would anyone allow companies to use toxic ingredients in products sold to consumers? I felt like I had been lied to all my life. So I went home and researched every product I owned. Sure enough, they all had some kind of chemical that made me uncomfortable to continue using. I began reading as many books as I could get my hands on. I was determined to cut out all the “nasties” from my life.
I knew as an esthetician that our skin absorbs everything we put on it. We even tested this theory by placing a chopped onion on the bottom of our feet. If you don’t feel up to testing this for yourself – spoiler: you can actually start to taste it! So just as we need to care for what goes in our bodies, it’s just as vital to care for what goes on the outside too. One by one, I started cutting out things I no longer felt safe using.
I’m not 100% where I want to be (hair products have been a struggle) and I’m no expert by any means. I just love to learn and share with others. I hope that by sharing my trials and errors with you, you gain the motivation to look for healthier products out there. Research something if it doesn’t feel right to you. I know how overwhelming it can be but try not to give up. I’ll do my best to help you along the way.
The mission for Earthy Embers is to give you the tools you need to live a more natural, healthy life. I’ve researched for hours (scientific articles can be long), tried dozens of products, and sifted through even more DIY recipes. All so you don’t have to. Keeping in mind that everyone is different and has different needs; do what feels right for you and your family.
- Recommend a product that doesn’t hold up to its promise (e.g., a mascara says it doesn’t flake but it does) even if the ingredients are non-toxic.
- Recommend products with questionable/toxic ingredients (parabens, phthlates, triclosan…etc).
- Recommend products only the rich and famous could afford. While I might recommend a pricier product from time to time, I know that isn’t realistic for most of us (myself included!). I will do my best to keep things budget friendly around here.
- I am from Chattanooga, TN but I currently live in Canada with my husband. This was a huge move for me since I have only ever lived in TN. I consider both places home but they are very different.
- My husband and I have been together since 2009. We got married in 2016 and I am loving every minute of married life.
- I am a licensed esthetician.
- I am a certified pharmacy technician.
- I completed 3 years of University, majoring in Biology. Unfortunately, until my paperwork is processed, I cannot finish school or work in Canada. To be honest, I’m not sure I want to finish my degree. I am loving blogging and I hope to continue doing this full-time.
- We don’t have kids yet but we do have a super adorable cat named, Lily. We’re hoping to get a newfoundland soon. Hubby is more of a dog person, but I think Lily is growing on him (he won’t admit to that, though).